Ephesians 6:10-20 – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
I used to think that the armor of God was my DEFENSE againt the enemy in the battle of spiritual warfare, where bodies lie scattered and wounded soldiers for God walk shell-shocked and confused amongst the chaos of the combat. We are all attacked daily. Sometimes others fake attacks in order to justify their irrational behavior….let that sink in.
Let’s look at our defensive weapons if you will:
- THE BELT OF TRUTH combats the lies we love to not only listen to, but tell ourselves. We cannot attain victory until we start speaking life into EVERY situation.
- THE BREASTPLAT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS guards our trembling hearts from the onslaught and fiery darts that come seemingly from nowhere, yet everywhere. Everything flows from the heart and the enemy knows that.
- FEET FITTED WITH THE READINESS THAT COMES FROM THE GOSPEL OF PEACE. Are you ready? Are you really ready to wlk out in obedience what God is calling you to do? Are you at peace? What is holding you back? Is it because you can’t hear God speaking anymore? If so, it’s because you have quieted His still, small voice by not listening. Find peace by doing that last thing you heard Him say and WALK IT OUT. Do not run away from the call.
- SHIELD OF FAITH. Another defensive weapon against the things that come against us, ususally the arrows of disbelief when we wonder if God is really big enough to handle our situation. Believe in the things you cannot see. That is true faith.
- HELMET OF SALVATION. How many thoughts a day do we actually take captive and give back to the Lord? How many thoughts roam our minds and take up camp where they don’t belong and light fires of insecurity, doubt, and worry?
So many people stop here…But there is ONE MORE piece of the armor, but not a defensive one.
#6 – THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT is the only OFFENSIVE piece to our armor. Yes, I said offensive. If you, or anyone else for that matter, is offended by the Word of God, the GOOD! It means that it is convicting the parts of us that we want to keep hidden, our secret sins. Our offensive sword is not a part of SELF, but absolutely of GOD. It’s the truth of God in itself. God’s word breathes life, it inspires, it is alive, it is dynamic, and it is LIFE CHANGING.
Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
God’s word reveals who we are…and who we are not. It penetrates our moral and spiritual lives by separating what is good and evil within us. It requires decisions. As God’s word divides your soul (your mind, will, and emotions), allow it to do it’s work! STAND FIRM then with your FULL armor and speak life with your sword. When you are holding your shield with one hand and your sword with another, there is no way you an pick up anything else. And remember that there is no armor for your back. God goes before you and if you CHOOSE to turn around and not obey, you are left vulnerable to the onslaught.
Please…be comforted by the fact that God is for you, my friend. Even when the battles ensue all around you, the seeds of comfort take root in soils of adversity. His word is a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path. We may not can see clearly the path before us, but trust and know that it is there.
Isaiah 40:6-8 – The voice said, “Cry out!” And he said, “What shall I cry?” “All flesh is grass, And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. 7 The grass withers, the flower fades, Because the breath of the Lord blows upon it; Surely the people are grass. 8 The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.”
We are not immune to trials and suffering, but our faith should not be hindered by our unwillingness. God’s word is eternal and unfailing and it never returns void. So…choose today & FIGHT.